SqueakSource is down again

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Dec 24 11:01:52 UTC 2007

Lukas Renggli wrote:
> The doIt you sent comes out empty, I've never seen a case where it
> actually returned a process. For the stack dumps I've got only the
> attached screenshot from the process browser that I took December 5.,
> roughly a month after loading your patches.

Unfortunately, the screenshot doesn't show much interesting - the best
thing to do is to cover *all* processes when the system is locked up for
forensic analysis. What we have done in our server VMs is to hook up the
USR1 signal to the VM's printAllStacks() function so that we can simply
get a stack dump via kill -USR1 <pid_of_squeak>. I don't know if this is
in the standard Unix VMs (I have no idea how portable the code is) but
it's a must have feature for running a Linux server with Squeak.

> Current versions of the Kom server adapter for Seaside stop listening
> while saving the image, but I have to check if this is also the case
> with the version of Seaside used in squeaksource.com.

That's a likely cause for problems. Also, you probably need to make sure
all requests are finished before saving the image - otherwise some of
them may rely on network activity to wake up.

Cheers,
   - Andreas