[ANN] Hydra VM (multithreaded squeak VM) showing first results

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 07:47:37 UTC 2007

On 25/12/2007, Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com> wrote:
> Hi Igor,
>
> on Mon, 24 Dec 2007 22:24:47 +0100, you wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> > i would like to make anyone know, what i have done during December in
> > a collaboration with Andreas, for creating a VM, which can run
> > multiple squeak images in separate native threads, running in
> > parallel.
> >
> > Hydra VM is codename, which we have choose to call this project :)
>
> Wow, what a project, what a name :-D
>
> > There is much to be done left, but i think, at the moment, there is
> > enough support in VM to write tests and experiment, without much risk
> > of crashes.
> >
> > Any questions? ask away!
>
> How about passing a socket's handle to one of the serpent's heads. See
> (aSocket socketHandle) in #acceptFrom: of Socket.
>
> That looks easy doable, (aSocket socketHandle) could be passed as a
> constant bytearray, similiar to sending something to the #transcript or
> #doIt channel, and the result of #acceptFrom: is totally controlled on the
> serpent head's side.
>
> Can you see any problem with this, OS-wise or other? If not I could give
> it a try.

Sockets are managed by socket plugin and keep own, private separate
list for each interpreter instance.
You may pass it, but if you try use it with other interpreter, which
creates it, all primitives will fail.
This can be changed however, i see good reasons why socket handles can
be passed between images.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.