Squeak VM stability?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Dec 29 01:08:41 UTC 2007

I think perhaps the SqueakELib project should tackle this.

Squeak is not secure and does not pretend to be secure, although there
are attempts to lock down file/socket access to keep casual users from
doing undesirable things.  However other forks of the VM like
SqueakELib want:

" a multithreaded vm for a secure, distributed object implementation"

note the word *secure*

buffer overflows, bytecode hacks, well those all valid tactics against
*secure* VMs..

so go over there and ask...
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6011

Otherwise if you can compile smalltalk code that causes the VM to
crash, then we are always interested, plus you get bonus points if
that causes VisualWorks to crash too.

--
=
=