Unix VM path encodings

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Sun Dec 30 23:59:19 UTC 2007

  Andreas,

> Playing around a little it appears as if the Unix VM always converts
> path names with the assumption that Squeak uses MacRoman in the image
> and only -pathenc affects the translation between file system and the
> image (i.e., -textenc has *no* effect on path name translation
> whatsoever). Can someone confirm this? It would explain why -pathenc
> MacRoman works (since like you say it's really the "no conversion" flag)
> if combined with a proper file name converter in the image.

  I think it is.  If I remember correctly, this was introduced before
3.8 (around 3.7 era, I believe) by Ned, and that was only to make
something he was trying to do work.

> > Well, nobody tried to change stuff on the all platforms at once.
> > Windows is doing ok with 3.10 VM and OLPC Etoys image (there is still
> > code that deals with older VM... typical installation for people is to
> > install stuff from squeakland.org and then use Etoys image).
>
> What encoding options are being used on OLPC? Do non-ascii file names,
> clipboard, drag and drop etc. work on OLPC?

  Filenames are in UTF-8.  Clipboard and Drag and drop uses somewhat
strange mechanism, but they are normalized to UTF-8 as well.

-- Yoshiki