same-named class and global vars

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Fri Feb 2 19:47:50 UTC 2007

Maybe this can work for a single conflict.
However the reasons for I do not agree on that are:
- I am not aware of the details of the code I am filing in
- I would not stand being asked for each and every conflict if there are
many

What if the class var is already installed ?
Do you rename the class you are loading or the already installed class var?
Maybe there are ten classes having a class var #Time. You gonna ask 10
times?
Then when you unload the conflicting package, you have messed already
installed code... Bad.

The scope are nested, there is a precedence rule, inner scope first,
outer last, and if imported class has a class var Time, it for sure
won't use the global class Time.

If you modify code interactively, simply warn the user of potential problem.

Smalltalk should be less pedantic than i am, don't you think so?

Nicolas