Squeak Board 2007 elections process and timeline *Please Respond*

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Feb 3 22:45:48 UTC 2007

On 3-Feb-07, at 9:22 AM, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> - Do you think a stronger leadership from the Squeak Board is needed?

I'm interested to hear from people about just how 'strong' a
leadership they think can be provided and how strong they want. There
is a simple practical problem with any idea of 'strong leadership' in
a completely free and open community and that is that there is no
power at all, no force , no control, that the 'strong leaders' can
exert unless people voluntarily accept it. If I say "I am the mighty
leader and lo! Morphic shall be Pink!" it really has no possible
consequence unless a significant number of people think pink. Or
maybe unless I can get some more of that mind control drug into the
water supply.

This year the current group of people on the board has tried to
concentrate on establishing some routines and conventions for good
governance. Sure, that doesn't make for great headlines about
dramatic leadership but it does, hopefully, result in a well
established, legally sound, open, transparent and honestly run
foundation. After that we collectively can start work on raising
money and more excitingly, spending it.

tim
Rules for Optimization: 1. Don't; 2. (for experts only) Don't Yet