[From the soapbox:] Update stream are essential!!!

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 00:07:56 UTC 2007

[From the soapbox:] Update stream are essential!!!

Hi Andreas,

>  I don't think this has anything at all to do with
>  updates or Monticello
>  - just with the fact that some of the smartest and
most
>  efficient
>  Squeakers in the world put full-time effort into
>  building a first-class
>  eToys experience on OLPC.

My point is that 9 out of ten of the "smartest and
most efficient Squeakers". choose to develop and
express their vision, focus, with execution using
update streams.

Process has a direct relationship to results.

Anyone can update and save a current OPLC system in a
handful of minutes.

What I am focusing on is the need for the tightest
possible feedback-update-distribution-feedback cycle.
With an emphasis on wide distribution to gather a lot
of feedback each cycle. It is VERY lacking with the MC
process for developing the Whole image.

Yours in service, --Jerome Peace

>Or do you really expect the  (largely  unorganized)
Squeak.org community to be able to effectively compete
with a small, dedicated group of people focusing on a
specific project?

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of utilizing
their results. I want the smartest and most efficient
programmers on my side. The goal is to get a vibrant
living system into the hands of those who can grow it
and grow with it.

I am perfectly happy with what ever self organizing
way develops to bring that about.

Respectfully yours, -- Jerome Peace

>  Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
>  Tue Feb 6 23:12:14 UTC 2007 wrote:
>
>  Jerome Peace wrote:
>  > Look at how fast the OPLC team develops
improvements
>  > and look at the level of feedback they get.
>  >
>  > Now compare that with the glacial pace of the
squeak
>  > image.
>
>  I don't think this has anything at all to do with
>  updates or Monticello
>  - just with the fact that some of the smartest and
most
>  efficient
>  Squeakers in the world put full-time effort into
>  building a first-class
>  eToys experience on OLPC. Or do you really expect
the
>  (largely
>  unorganized) Squeak.org community to be able to
>  effectively compete with
>  a small, dedicated group of people focusing on a
>  specific project? In my
>  experience that ain't going to happen. Vision,
focus,
>  execution.
>
>  Cheers,
>     - Andreas