[From the soapbox:] Update stream are essential!!!

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 7 08:09:44 UTC 2007

>From: Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: [From the soapbox:] Update stream are essential!!!
>Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 02:28:29 +0000
>
>I think that one way of moving forward is that at every step of the image
>development process, to release, not only the fixes and updates to the base
>image, but also to provide readily available 'favourite images' with 'my
>favourite packages' loaded and tested ready to go.

For now that is about our only option.  But in future it would be nice to
have a universes (or something like that) approach that I can easily put in
the packages I want, and I know that the system will keep track of what
depends on what, what conflicts with what, etc., etc.

Of course, there will probably always be a need for a certain (small) amount
of prebuilt images, just as all the Linux installers I am ware of have
"Desktop", "Server", type options to preload some number of packages for
you.