Command Line Squeak/Scripting: Status?

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Sat Feb 10 17:38:13 UTC 2007

Brent Fulgham <bfulg at pacbell.net> writes:

> If one of these functions well enough to run programs from a script, let me know
> and I'll be glad to add Squeak to the "Computer Language Shootout"
> (http://shootout.alioth.debian.org).

Try "man squeak", or on Debian, "man squeakvm".  There are
instructions on how to do it down under the "Scripts" section.

The simplest thing is to make a file with the Smalltalk code and then
another script that has:

  squeak squeak.image thescript.st

However, you can also make self-contained script files.  Here's a
simple example fromthe man page, though I'm sure with some cleverness
you can come up with more ideas.

              #!/usr/bin/squeakvm --
              Transcript cr; show: ¡ÇHello, world¡Ç.

Now, this basically all works, but be warned that there are a lot of
rough edges.  Nobody programs like this, and so nobody has polished
it.  For example, the last time I checked, error messages are not
handled gracefully.

-Lex