Low-space signals in production environments

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Feb 11 14:50:00 UTC 2007

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 02:08:29AM -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:
> In particular considering that the lowspace semaphore can't really
> do anything because it doesn't even know which process got interrupted!

Andreas,

Does your image have the fix from Mantis 1041?

"Under certain conditions the low space watcher was unable to determine the
correct process to suspend following a low space signal. These changes permit
the VM to remember the identity of the process that caused the low space
condition, and to report it to the image through a primitive."

Low space notification was badly broken for quite a while, including 3.8
images, but should be somewhat less broken after applying this change.
This might affect Squeakland or OLPC images, I'm not sure.

Dave