Classboxes

Viktor Svub gilrandir at centrum.cz
Sun Feb 11 18:10:47 UTC 2007

Lex Spoon napsal(a):
> Gilrandir <gilrandir at centrum.cz> writes:
>> Hi all,
>> i'm looking for a decent module system for Squeak and i'm playing with
>> Classboxes - they seem to be ideal - it's still pure Smalltalk, they
>> work together with Traits, but there seems to be something broken: in
>> Classbox>>scope is an attempt to instantiate a class named
>> Environment, which is nowhere to be found
>

> I don't think Classboxes is maintained.  For experimentation, you
> should dig up the correct older version of Squeak for it -- does
> anyone know what that would be?  If you want to continue using them
> beyond experimentation, then either you need to use it with the old
> version of Squeak, or you need to update it personally.

I'm pretty sure Classboxes is not maintained anymore, though in my
opinion, it't "the module system for Squeak, done right" and i'd like to
test to use it myself. I don't know which version of Squeak is the right
one, and i wanted to update it fo 3.9 - but i'm not able to infer, which
class should i use instead of Environment or how to work around this.

> By the way, there are some other module-related tools that are
> actively maintained.  Monticello is a great for managing code given
> the current Squeak design; it won't prevent clashes between packages,
> but at least it will tell you when they happen.  Package universes is
> my toolkit for helping people manage sets of mutually compatible
> packages; given such a toolkit, the need for a good module system is
> lessened.

I kind of really like the Squeaks' module and packaging tools, but it
just doesn't feel right to me - i don't like to depend of any tools of
this kind, without the "real" low-level (or first-order, i'm not sure
how to put this in english) facility backing them.

> -Lex

Though i'm not looking for a solution rigth now, but just for a way to
get Classboxes going, thank you :)

Viktor Svub