Adult e-toys - warning: long and a little rambling

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Feb 11 22:27:53 UTC 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 1:20 , Jerome Peace wrote:

> Tweak is being created under the same pressures (and by the same
> people) that created squeak.

Yes and no. There is an "R" in "VPRI" for a reason. Finishing
something to product quality is not something they can do. But they
are putting stuff out under an open license, so anyone interested
could polish it.

> The bugs and the clutter are likely to be repeated

"Likely"? Sounds like hearsay. From my experience, Tweak code is a
lot cleaner than Morphic in general. I attribute this to the fact
that the core was developed by a single person, that it is developed
using Monticello, which separates the experimental code from the core
pretty much.

> and the time it will take to get them down to a reasonable level is
> still measured in years.

Well, then better get started sooner than later, right? ;-)

> My test is that triangles (polygons) in tweak don't work in a
> usable fashion. They shrink if you turn them. NOT acceptable.

Well if this is your only test ... Remove
CPolygonPlayer>>onGeometryChanged. Done - but it looks ugly, which is
why the buggy hack is in there. And nobody fixed it because the
*real* fix is something else.

I wrote about this before. You need a real transforming canvas
framework to make this work without hacks. Which we did not have
before Rome. In the TinLizzie Tweak version this test works fine, and
looks gorgeous even when rotated thanks to Cairo. But again,
TinLizzie is only a research prototype, development has moved on
already.

- Bert -