Squeak Board 2007 Elections

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at tx.technion.ac.il
Tue Feb 13 15:58:32 UTC 2007

Hi Steph,

I for one am glad we have a few candidate, and you among them. I don't
think its so bad if we have few candidates: The Debian project (with
over 1000 registered voting developers) has had 6 nominees for 1
position in 2005, and 3 nominees in 2004.

If we have few candidates and decide to cancel the vote, selecting all
candidates to the board (until some acting Board takes it upon
themselves to create a fixed, long term rule-set, I consider this
decision the prerogative of the elections team), the board still has the
basic legitimacy that they are in place not merely for historical
reasons, and that any better candidates only needed to have run. So the
elections would still serve their original purpose - to make sure the
Board is elected fairly. This value is not determined solely by the vote.

I see two other options, which are:
1. Adding "nobody" as a candidate to the vote, and denoting board
members only those that defeated "nobody" (thus, every board member was
preferred by the community to not having them).
2. Reducing the number of places on the board to around 3 (thus making
it easy to have more candidates than positions, and getting a more
typical board size).
Again, I consider this decision the topic of the elections team, so
please direct any discussion of that to the elections mailing list
(remember to register to it before posting there!).

But until the 18th, I would like to encourage everyone to look into
their hearts and think whether there's some services that they want to
do for this community, that is best done within the board. If the answer
is yes, just submit your candidacy. If you prefer to make your
contribution elsewhere, such as in code, then be happy and have fun in
doing just that :-)

Daniel Vainsencher