TTCFont/FixedFaceFont #ascent recursion will blow away your VM in 3.8 image

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Feb 13 21:39:53 UTC 2007

No idea about 3.9 images and absolutely no spare time to check.

Basic problem - if you set your fonts to be TTCFonts (like Bitstream
Vera 12 normal, the one I use for pretty much all the fonts you can
set in 'appearance->system fonts') then any time #ascent is sent to
the font you are in trouble.

TTCFont asks the fallbackFont for its ascent. FixedFaceFont asks its
baseFont. IF your default text font is a TTCFont, then it will ask
its fallbackFont and on and on.

I don't know anything about how the fonts were changed for i18n etc
but it certainly looks odd at face value to have the main font asking
its fallback about the ascent. FreetypeFonts don't, as a counter-
example.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- IDIOS AMIGOS - We're wild and crazy guys!