Squeak scripts in UNIX

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Fri Feb 16 16:20:10 UTC 2007

"David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> writes:
> > >On Unix, "FileDirectory default" gives you the Unix cwd.
> >
> > No. It gives you the image directory.
>
> There is a "current working directory" introduced into CommandShell,
> but as Bert says is a concept that does not exist in Squeak, so it
> had to be added. Furthermore, it works on a per-volume basis in Windows
> (C: drive versus D: drive, etc), so it's not clear that this is a
> very portable concept.

I see.  In the example script header I posted, they would be the same
directory, but if you reuse an image in a stock location then they
would be different.

Why is the default directory set to the image's directory, anyway?
That seems like zero bits of information: you can already compute it
from the image's filename.  Additionally, isn't the most sensible
"default directory" the same as the "default directory" (cwd) of the
calling process?

-Lex