URL changes, the trailing slash is striking again

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 17:52:58 UTC 2007

> FWIW, the URL classes in the image handle this.  They were written
> back in '98 and have been carefully updated since then as problems
> come up.  The approach is that a trailing slash mean the last part
> of the path is an empty string.  To continue with this example:
>
> FileUrl pathParts: #('files' 'basic.css')
>    "yields file:///files/basic.css"
>
> FileUrl pathParts: #('files' 'basic.css' '')
>    "yields file:///files/basic.css/"

Interesting, I didn't know that these existed. What they are used for?
What is the difference to FileDirectory? HTTPSocket, KomServer and
friends doesn't seem to use them.

Another thing is that Seaside is nowadays regularly ported to other
dialects (and potentially to more). Using Squeak specific code makes
this more difficult.

Cheers,
Lukas

--