Running for the Squeak Board

Andrew P. Black black at cs.pdx.edu
Sat Feb 17 01:29:53 UTC 2007

I'm announcing that I'm running for the Squeak Board.

As many of you know, I'm a Computer Science professor and I use
Squeak for teaching and Research.  So my main motivators are having a
system that works that I can use for a research tool, and a system
that is elegant, that I can use to demonstrate to students what a
solid OO design should look like.

I've become concerned that Squeak is getting a bit less stable rather
than more so.  I recently started up an old 3.0 image, and immediatly
found (a garish colour scheme and) some features that have since
decayed.  It was _fast_ too!

Of course, I'm not opposed to using Squeak as a platform for
innovation — in fact, that it how I myself want to use it.  But I
think that the community effort should be focussed less on bells and
whistles than on a coherent base layer.

	Andrew