New WeeklySqueak Record

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Sun Feb 18 07:18:05 UTC 2007

On Feb 16, 2007, at 8:16 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 16-Feb-07, at 7:58 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>

>> Heh, heh, well get some sleep then. Nice to see Sophie coming
>> along! Now how do I get this into Croquet I wonder... ;-)
> Perhaps more interesting would be getting croquet worlds into
> sophie pages. Well, both. Not to mention eventually making sophie
> pages be '3D' so that page turning can be a proper page turning
> effect.

I agree that it's interesting to embed both Sophie in Croquet, and
vice versa.  However, although I think that it's pretty clear what it
would mean to embed Sophie in Croquet, I don't think that the reverse
is obvious... what does it mean to incorporate real-time multi-person
interaction into a multimedia document?

As simple example, the last time I looked I didn't notice any webcam
support in Sophie.  I assumed that this omission might be
intentional.  If someone emails me a Sophie document, and the webcam
"at the other end" isn't enabled, do I simply see a blank screen?
What if the webcam is on, but nobody is there (pretty boring)?  The
issues with Croquet seem analogous.

I'm curious to hear any thoughts that the Sophie team have about what
it would mean/require to support real-time interaction in Sophie.

Nice work folks!
Josh