New WeeklySqueak Record

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Feb 18 09:04:40 UTC 2007

On Feb 17, 2007, at 11:18 PM, Joshua Gargus wrote:

> As simple example, the last time I looked I didn't notice any
> webcam support in Sophie.  I assumed that this omission might be
> intentional.  If someone emails me a Sophie document, and the
> webcam "at the other end" isn't enabled, do I simply see a blank
> screen?  What if the webcam is on, but nobody is there (pretty
> boring)?  The issues with Croquet seem analogous.

Ah, well there are only so many hours in the day, I"m sure Michael
would admit to have done a frightening number of work hours on Sophie
in the last couple of week.
Buried in there are things like import/exporting stickies & highlight
markers for reader/author interactions, and we did fiddle a bit with
pushing live comments on books from readers to all readers of a book
from the server. No there is no collaborative editing environment ,
only so many months in a year, mind since you can embed books in
books and link over the internet to either a sophie server or plain
http server one could imagine some workarounds to allow people to
work on parts of a book.

However we've been really busy building the Rome/Cario rending
underpinning instead of worrying about webcam support. I'll note of
course the
license  http://www.sophieproject.org/about/license, which means
people can take this stuff and run.

There is an extension plugin layer if someone gets around to
documenting it and a fair amount of quicktime  interfacing now, so
adding webcam support *couldn't* be too difficult.

Er just pick that exit to squeak menu item....

===