BitBlt speed WinXP

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sun Feb 18 19:48:04 UTC 2007

Hello Bert,

thank you, your tips are welcome as always.

maybe its clearer if I state what I want to achieve in the beginning.

I have a neural network (self organizing feature map) and I want to
watch it learn.

Right now it has 100 nodes and 156 inputs, that's determining the
size. I start out with a neighbourhood of 32 which means that 65 of
the nodes will get trained for each of my 800+ samples. That was my
Float array question last time.

If everything goes well, after every training of any node I want to
redraw the line of 156 coefficients which are between 0 and 1.

I planned to have a white Form and a blue Form, and use
copyBitsTranslucent: coefficientMappedTo255..

Or I might use 255 Forms of the right colours and blit them to the
appropriate coordinates.
>>         rectangleCoords do: [:koords| bb destX: koords x; destY:
>> koords y; copyBits.]

BF> Wouldn't "Form over" be sufficient?

How to understand this? Speed is about the same. Is there some place
to read up on what the different modes actually do?

BF> Try not drawing to Display but to a temporary form, and then blt this
BF> one.

Thanks I'll try. Do you mean that one big blt is faster than many
small blt*s and that a blt to a physical display is slower than to a
Form? I didn't yet because it involved an extra step.

BF> BitBlt has nothing to do with OpenGL or D3D.

Just didn't know what ate the cycles so I tried everything that could
be tried easily before asking here.

BF> What are you actually trying to achieve? It's probably much more
BF> efficient to update a single form and then enlarge it by 4 using
BF> warpblt.

See above and I'll try warpblt too.

BF> Also, the Kedama Plugin has primitives for drawing large numbers of
BF> particles, if that is what you're after.

I'll look again but I think that's different from what I want. Squeak
is big, so give me a decade or two :-))

BTW, others here seem to be into neural nets too, I don't mind to
share what I have and what I have learned.

Thanks,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net