Towards a better IDE in Squeak

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 20 15:51:36 UTC 2007

>From: David Röthlisberger <squeak at c3com.ch>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Towards a better IDE in Squeak
>Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:31:55 +0100
>
>This is a bit sad for Smalltalk, because a long time ago it had the best
>IDE, but now Eclipse is getting better and better while the IDE of
>Smalltalk / Squeak stays more or less the same.

Very interesting.  I hope you come up with some nice stuff. :)

But to this statement I would say:  (1) Eclipse may be getting better but it
is light years away from what stock Squeak has right now.  Eclipse is trying
to do modify/run, but it only works in a very limited way, and I don't see
this getting much better.

And (2), it may be true that Squeak hasn't moved a lot but that doesn't mean
it sucks.  Strongtalk sat on a shelf for 10 years without anyone looking at
it, but it remains the most advanced dynamic VM on the planet for now
(Exupery is comming though :).