New Win32 VM (3.9.2)

Martin Beck martin.beck at hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Feb 20 17:20:24 UTC 2007

Andreas Raab schrieb:
> Martin Beck wrote:
>> After using this version for some time I recognized a decreasing in
>> the speed of the event handling. The responses on my mouse clicks are
>> very slow after some time, so browsing source isn't fun anymore. :(
>> Also, my key events are sometimes mangled up, i.e. they don't arrive
>> in the right order, if i type too fast. Also I can almost count the
>> seconds till the key press events arrive on my screen. Using the vm
>> from squeak.org solves this problem in the same image. However, 0
>> tinyBenchmarks prints slightly better results for your version.
>
> I have couple of questions:
> * What image are using?
> * How long does it take until the effect is noticable?
> * How fast is the machine you are running on? (only for comparison to
> see what to expect on other machines)
> * Are you using any "uncommon" plugins? (in particular those that might
> have an effect on UI handling, say host windows, or wxSqueak)
> * Does Alt-Period get rid of this problem?
> * Does switching to 3.9.2 get rid of this problem?
> * And finally: Anyone else seeing the same problem?
Sorry for the long answer time, but its hard to get the time to test the
image. My test image is 3.9final. I now just installed Shout, changed to
demo font mode, typed in a new class with one simple method and forked
this method in a new process. However, the method writes something on
transcript and returns. After that I get the slow down for text
typing... That took me 5 minutes without any special plugins with 3.9.2
vm... Alt-period does nothing but intercept the ui process, so its no
help either.

However, in a fully clean image it doesn't occur....

Greets, Martin