Squeak People Certification

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at tx.technion.ac.il
Tue Feb 20 23:19:38 UTC 2007

I just wanted to say that I at least consider SqP (or something like it)
to be a very important experiment.

To do various things (such as elections) as a community, we need
mechanisms (voting). Whenever the things we want to do have a chance of
being important, we need our mechanisms to take account of trust in some
way.

Most traditional ways of handling trust (membership lists, payments,
...) simply *suck* in the sense of requiring lots of centralized manual
work. SqP, while requiring some work of newcomers and the users that
certify them, is not creating that work, but just spreading it around.

It also has the advantage that it has a chance of scaling, and by its
nature it allows us to spread trust relatively quickly, while protecting
us somewhat against a possible hostile takeover. IIRC, there's an API to
it, so other applications can reuse the same effort for completely
different purposes. All of these latter advantages are somewhat iffy -
that's the experiment.

But it has a better chance of working in these ways than other methods
we've found on the elections list, and it definitely allows us to
decentralize the work of managing trust, preventing the elections
process from being so much of a chore nobody wants to do it.

So please do use it. Do not feel embarrassed about asking for
certification, its a result of the mechanism we chose, not your own ego.
Do give people solid reasons to certify you - they want to do justice to
the trust invested in them, so point at your projects, interests and so
forth. And in turn, if anyone you know joins the community, go ahead and
certify them proactively.

Thanks,
Daniel Vainsencher