Towards a better IDE in Squeak

Roel Wuyts Roel.Wuyts at ulb.ac.be
Wed Feb 21 21:40:47 UTC 2007

On 20 Feb 2007, at 20 February/16:51, J J wrote:

>> From: David Röthlisberger <squeak at c3com.ch>
>> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list<squeak-
>> dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>> Subject: Towards a better IDE in Squeak
>> Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:31:55 +0100
>>
>> This is a bit sad for Smalltalk, because a long time ago it had
>> the best IDE, but now Eclipse is getting better and better while
>> the IDE of Smalltalk / Squeak stays more or less the same.
>
> Very interesting.  I hope you come up with some nice stuff. :)
>
> But to this statement I would say:  (1) Eclipse may be getting
> better but it is light years away from what stock Squeak has right
> now.  Eclipse is trying to do modify/run, but it only works in a
> very limited way, and I don't see this getting much better.

Don't mistake the IDE with the language :-) In itself, and for those
that like to have lots of panes with information, Eclipse is quite
nice. Its completion features and problem resolvers are farther ahead
than what I have seen for any Smalltalk environment. Of course. they
have to be :-) :-) And even with all of these nifty features,
developing Java in Eclipse is still tedious, cumbersome and slow
compared to developing in Squeak. But this does not mean that I am
not longing for a number of Eclipse (or even VisualWorks) features in
Squeak :-)

> And (2), it may be true that Squeak hasn't moved a lot but that
> doesn't mean it sucks.  Strongtalk sat on a shelf for 10 years
> without anyone looking at it, but it remains the most advanced
> dynamic VM on the planet for now (Exupery is comming though :).

Couldn't agree more :-)