sweep failed to find exact end of memory

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Feb 21 23:03:45 UTC 2007

The openBSD folks introduced a feature where when an application
starts up, memory is allocated in a different place than the last time.
This was to avoid having an application startup and alway have the
exact same memory allocation address pattern, thus perhaps
enabling an exploit, some linux systems then adopted this policy, so
the image memory isn't allocated at the 640K boundary rather
elsewhere...

On Feb 21, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On 2/21/07, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>> It's not so much the amount of memory as where it's allocated. A 10Mb
>> allocation that involves >2Gb values will still go kaboom (There was
>> supposed to be an earth-shattering Kaboom, where was the earth-
>> shattering kaboom?)
>>
>> Some OSs allocate from low adresses; some from high. Some do weird
>> things.
>
> Right - I see this a lot more under Linux than under OS X, for
> example.
>
> Avi

===