[From the soapbox:] election details *PLEASE READ*

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Thu Feb 22 07:55:41 UTC 2007

Hi Andreas,

on Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:36:49 +0100, you wrote:
> Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>> Of course the tools are not perfect. Instead of helping to improve the
>> situation people tend to complain. Unfortunately this will not bring us
>> forward. But hey, its not that important, is it?
>
> Isn't it more like: To use traits you need tools, to write tools you
> need to understand traits, and to understand traits you need to use them?
>
> I've been poking around in the traits implementation myself (fairly well
> documented in [1], and [2]) and although I have a very good
> understanding about the metaclass relationships in Squeak < 3.9 I found
> the traits implementation basically impenetrable. If I look at who
> implements a method and get ten implementors thrown at me where there
> used to be one or two, it's just not helpful. I stopped digging into it
> for that reason - the traits class kernel has become completely
> inaccessible to me.
>
> I'm starting to think that implementing traits using traits may have
> been a mistake for that very reason. Maybe this should have done as a
> second step or so. But the way the situation is I think there may only
> be half a dozen people in the world who have any idea of how that traits
> kernel works.

C'mon :) Isn't this the same with a) Interpreter, b) Seaside, c) Compiler
& NewCompiler, d) Monticello, e) Morphics, f) <put your's here>

I understand and share parts of your critique, in fact Traits seems to be
more at the heart of "it" and lacks efficient tool support but, try to
make a substantial change to a) - f) or ask more than the respective dozen
of people to describe, in understandable terms, how these a) - f) effectly
work: absolutely no difference, nil, zero, zippo.

No offense intended, Andreas. But Traits is no exception the way it can be
interpreted from your postings.

/Klaus