election details *PLEASE READ*

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 20:46:15 UTC 2007

>From: "Cees de Groot" <cdegroot at gmail.com>
>To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list"<squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>Subject: Re: election details *PLEASE READ*
>Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:47:19 +0100
>
>On 2/21/07, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>>Should we actively pursue changes?
>
>[I take it you won't mind getting answers from other candidates :-)]
>
>Yes.
>
>The biggest weakness in Smalltalk/Squeak atm is that it doesn't scale
>well. At the very least, something in the area of namespacing is
>needed - this is one thing that Java got right. And personally, I
>think Goran's approach should be adopted ASAP because it is minimal
>while getting a long way into the direction of solving the problem at
>hand.

I don't agree that Java got it right.  Java just stuck something in there.
We can do, and I believe have done, better.  That is, I think there are
better implementations of a namespace type system out there to be adopted.
>From the mainstream world, python is pretty good as is Haskell.

IMO a simple "stick colons in it" doesn't do anything but add two characters
per class and make the code uglier.  We can do better.