sweep failed to find exact end of memory

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri Feb 23 07:54:18 UTC 2007

Hi!

>>> sweep failed to find exact end of memory
>>>

>>> This is on my laptop with 1.25gb of RAM 2gb of swap i386 Ubuntu Linux.
>>
>> Must be a Linux thing. I can do that on my Windows laptop with no
>> problems.
>>
>> 2 GB of RAM, Win XP Pro.
>>
>> Squeak jumps from 40 MB used up to around 155 MB used when I open an
>> inspector on the oc. Takes about 7 seconds if I don't inspect, 17 if I
>> do.
>>
>> When I close the inspector, after it GC's it goes back down to 40 MB...
>
> Yes, Linux does play a role. From earlier in the thread how Squeak does
> is totally dependent on how the OS allocates memory to Squeak. In this
> instance it appears that Linux exacerbates the problem in Squeak.

And it has been reported from at least one Solaris user and IIRC an
OpenBSD user. In Linux it started from kernel 2.6, can't recall which
version exactly but it is closely related to how the virtual memory works
in Linux of course. People tend to notice it when they load ImageSegments
which the SqueakMap Package Loader does - and so they sometimes begin with
wondering if SqueakMap is somehow the culprit. :)

There are tons of posts on the subject of course in the archives. I have
avoided the problem myself by simply using the -memory option which seems
to get Squeak allocated low.

regards, Göran