Towards a better IDE in Squeak

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 24 23:45:16 UTC 2007

On 2007 February 18 14:31, David Röthlisberger wrote:
<<snip>>

> Second, I would also like to do kind of empirical studies in the future
> to somehow validate the effectiveness and efficiency of new approaches
> for an IDE, hence I need subjects performing some experiments in these
> future IDEs and I also need data about how you use your IDE (e.g., how
> you browse source code, how and where you write source code, with which
> tools, etc.). Will you be willing to provide me with these data recorded
> by some non-invasive recordings tools you can simply load in your image
> and which will then save the recorded data to a file which you would
> then send to me?

You can count me in. I am not sure I am the right subject though, although I
have been coding for many years (out of which last 9 Java only), I am a
Smalltalk amateur. But I am very interested in what could be done to make the
IDE better, in fact I was thinking about making a video recording of my 5
most confusing Squeak IDE actions (to name one, adding a new class while
looking at an existing class still makes me madly clicking to make
the "Object subclass:#name" to show :) )

> Are you also willing to perform some experiments in new
> IDEs, e.g. trying and playing with them, use them for a project of
> yours, etc.?

Yes, although my project may not be a practical size...

Milan