packaging style requests

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Mon Feb 26 19:44:05 UTC 2007

"Damien Cassou" <damien.cassou at gmail.com> writes:
> 20 Feb 2007 18:32:27 -0500, Lex Spoon <lex at lexspoon.org>:
> > Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at laposte.net> writes:
> > > There is ScriptManager to do that I think. I use it for the squeak-dev
> > > image and it is very interesting. Would be cool if a system like that
> > > is integrated into Squeak so that packages could just do a:
> > >
> > > self addReadmeTitled: 'Dynamic Protocols' containing: '...'
> >
> > Ohh, nice.
> >
> > Of course, in a package-universes image, you can depend-on the
> > ScriptManager package, and then do exactly the above in your package's
> > post-load code.
>
> But it would be better to have that message in the base image even if
> ScriptManager is not loaded. Then, the image would display a Workspace
> if such a class exist or would put everything in the transcript.

If your package depends on ScriptManager, then ScriptManager will
always be available by the time your package loads.

Assuming ScriptManager is small, it should be no big deal to depend on
it.  If ScriptManager is big, then it would be better to have a small
subsystem just for managing these readmes.  This could initially be a
separate package, and could later be included in the standard image if
enough people use it.

-Lex