new packages in 3.9 universe

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 2 16:23:49 UTC 2007

Yesterday I moved over a bunch of packages from the 3.7 stable
universe to the 3.9 one currently being built.  As a result, 3.9 has
67 new packages, bringing the total to 113.  The bulk of the packages
are probably in at this point, meaning that the 3.9 stable universe
will be about 2/3 the size of the one for 3.7.

The full list of packages is appended below.

This process took a surprisinlgy long time!  Even just glancing at
each of 200 packages will make the hours really go by!  As a result, I
ended up optimizing for my own time in this process.  I said no to a
lot of packages that could probably be made to work.

If anyone sees something that is left out, either let me know
or... post it yourself.  :)  The 3.9 universe will be left open a
little while yet.

In general, I rejected about half of the list before starting.  The
following factors would influence me to reject packages in this first
pass:

  1. It looks irrelevant in 3.9.  For example, AppRegistry is now
  standard.

  2. It is a Morphic project file.  It takes too long to
  trawl through these and figure out which ones still load.
  Maybe later.

  3. It looks highly intertwined in the system.  For example, I
  rejected some packages that modify the system text editor.  Properly
  evaluating these is just a lot of work.

  4. Plugins.  These should be in there ideally, but the audience for
  them is small, so I put them off.

  5. It does not make sense to me.  If I did not understand the
  summary, then I had a strong inclination not to bother with it.

After making this first cut, I then went down the list and saw if
SqueakMap lists a newer version of it.  Then, I installed them all and
fooled around with them to see if they are basically working.

For future reference, there are some things package authors can do to
make it easier for people to put your package in a distribution:

  1. Provide a code file holding JUST the load material.  Do not
  auto-install from SqueakMap.  Do not open up 15 windows after
  installing.  For various reasons, smart packages have a tendency to
  backfire.

  2. Provide some test cases.  I loved the packages where I could open
  TestRunner and see that the tests are doing okay.

  3. Provide at least one example.  My main smoke test was whether
  basic examples work.  This is easier if the package includes one or
  more basic examples.

The full list of packages is below.  -Lex

||The following I did not even try to copy.||

AcTalk
AioPlugin  (I'm skipping plugins)
AnnotatedMethodPuller  (standard in 3.9?)
AppRegistry  (standard in 3.9)
Appearance Menu Registry (standard in 3.9?)
AspectS (too intrusive)
BFAV2 (still used?  we use Mantis now, right?)
Background Loader
Balloon3D (too intrusive)
Befunge'93 (too intrusive)
BinarySavingMC
BrowserInheritanceIcons (too intrusive)
Chuck (traits breaks it)
Check Repository (no longer needed)
Completion Enhancements (too intrusive)
Completion Morph (too intrusive)
Compressed Sources File (too intrusive)
Crop Morphs (too intrusive)
Crop SketcheMorphs and Grab Screen Rectangle  (oops, looks like a duplicate of the above!)
Czech Keyboard (too intrusive)
Debugger (too intrusive)
DefaultExternalDropHandler (too intrusive)
DirectoryPlugin (too intrusive)
Dispatch (too intrusive)
Edit Pretty Print Text Colors (too intrusive)
Emacs key bindings
Ephemerons (too intrusive, and I don't understand it)
Es-Squeakz-Me (I don't understand)
FillInTheBlankMorph Look Enhancements (too intrusive)
FlapsRegistry (not needed in 3.9?)
Full Image (we need to rethink the meta packages for 3.9)
Gradient Window Look (too intrusive)
HttpView2 (what is it?)
IRCe-Tests (If the IRCe guys wants this, then add it please!)
IvapParser (sounds cool, but I do not have time to test if it still works in 3.9, e.g. with traits)
LanguageEditor (not useful in 3.9?)
Method Annotations (standard in 3.9?)
MethodRecompiler (too intrusive)
Monticello (standard in 3.9)
MonticelloCVS (obsolete?)
MorphicWrappers (too intrusive)
Multi-level Undo for TextMorph (too intrusive)
NetMorph (too intrusive)
NetMorph MapServer (no use without NetMorph)
OSProcessPlugin (I'll let David add this if appropriate)
PackageInfo (standard in 3.9)
PackageInfo-Extras (it's too  much trouble to check if this makes sense in 3.9)
PointerExplorer (standard in 3.9)
Poses (too intrusive)
PrimCallController (too intrusive)
Protocols-Examples (I'm not sure what this is)
RoleS (too intrusive)
SIForgeWizord (I'm not sure what this is)
SUnit (standard in 3.9)
SUnit active tutorial
SeasideTesting (too intrusive)
Services (too intrusive)
ShoutMonticello/Omnibrowser/Traits (too intrusive)
Simulations (I don't know what it is)
Singletons (too intrusive)
Skeleton (I don't know how to test this)
SmallInterfaces (too intrusive)
Sokoban/Sokoban Enhanced (I don't know how to install this)
Sorrow (too obscure)
SpaceWar (no comment given)
Squeak Prototypes
SqueakMap2 (standard in 3.9)
SystemTracer2 (I don't know how to test this)
Techo (I don't know how to test it)
TextFiles (obselete for 3.9?)
Train (I don't know what it is)
Traits (standard in 3.9)
UpdateStreams for SqueakMap (too tricky for me)
Vasili's Regex (not maintained?)
WatchiIt! (too intrusive)
Wintab Tablet Support (I can't test it)
XDisplayControlPlugin (I'm skipping plugins)
XMLTransformer (I don't understand what it is)
bons (I don't know how to test it)
rST (I don't know how to test it)
shapes (looks unmaintained)
Berkeley DB Plugin  (I am skpping plugins)
Regular Expression Plugin (I'm skipping plugins)
ConflictChecker (looks obsolete, given monticello)

FullImageProjectAlice  (I'm skipping projects)
FullImageProjectSmalltalkIntroduction  (I'm skipping projects)
ProgrammingMorphs  (I'm skipping projects)
presentations tutorial  (I'm skipping projects)
WarpSketchMorph  (I'm skipping projects)

||  I tried loading these, but they failed: ||

GamesTests  (syntax error on loading)
Celeste Tests  (causes white walkbacks!)
Assertions (conflicts with assert method in image)
BlogBrowser (missing WebPageMorph)
Collections-Misc (could not load)
ECoDE (messes with the system somehow)
EasySqueak (does not load)
Faure (does not load)
FontSetCream (does not load)
FractalMorph (does not load)
Graph (does not load)
HTMLTableMorph
Hobble  (cannot enter)
Image Browser (crashes when I try to use it)
Lisp (cannot get it running)
MAPIClient (cannot get it running)
MorphicFontEditor (does not open)
MultiColumnListMorph (examples fail)
OggVorbis (does not load)
ODBCEnh (bad URL)
Prolog (does not load)
SSP (does not load)
Telnet (cannot open)
Scheduler (bad URL)
Manzana (error on opening)
Smalltalk 72 (does not load)
Sort Criteria (tests fail)
Taskbar (makes system fragile)
Units (tests fail)
Video and Image Processing (does not load)
Whisker Browser (crashes)

=======================
|| These I included. ||
=======================

DynamicBindings
Kom*
Seaside
Seaside Presentation (but it constantly times out!!)
Games
SmaCC
Algebraic
Array2D