Design Principles Behind Smalltalk, Revisited (humor)

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Wed Jan 3 15:42:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 09:54:35 -0500, "Paul D. Fernhout"
<pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

> There is some sort of mismatch going on here between the mind and
> Smalltalk's object model. What it is in its entirety I am not sure. But
> clearly the tools at hand in Smalltalk-80 can't match the minds
> flexibility in object-oriented (and other) modeling. Yet it is very much a
> stated design goal in Dan's original paper to have the Smalltalk software
> environment be a good match for how the mind actually works. So, here, as
> exemplified by humor, we have a mismatch. Essentially, Smalltalk code
> isn't funny. :-)

I'm working on some serious AI research right now, using Squeak (of
course). My idea of the brain (in terms of how we model it) is a virtual
machine, with very little Smalltalk code, and huge amounts of data that
gets stored and indexed. You can't model things like humor and emotions and
such in code - it gets modeled in data.

http://www.bioloid.info/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=MicroRaptor if anyone is
interested...

Later,