Monticello Extension

Noury Bouraqadi bouraqadi at
Fri Jan 5 20:55:36 UTC 2007

I extended classes definitions and wanted to have these extensions
taken into account into monticello. So, I extended MCClassDefinition
in my package. Things work fine until I switched to a fresh image and
wanted to install my package. I found out that there is a
bootstrapping problem, I need my MC extension installed before
actually loading my package. Putting the extension into a required
package doesn't help. My solution is to use an "installer", i.e. a
class that loads my package.
However, I have some questions:

-I guess other people face this problem. I'm sure that Traits have
this problem. You can't install the traits package in an image that
doesn't already have MCTraitDefinition... Any other examples?

-What are the other available solutions ? I guess, there should be
some tool similar to what I called "installer".

-Is this issue is or will be addressed in Monticello 2?

-Is this problem is really specific to Monticello and Squeak? Anybody
knows about similar issue in other Smalltalk dialects or even other

Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.

European Smalltalk Users Group Board

Squeak: a Free Smalltalk