Squeak and native threads

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Jan 7 02:13:17 UTC 2007

Well actually on Modern old technology based operating systems like
unix, (ahem OSX)
  the I/O (file/sockets/sound) run under different pthreads
automatically once the syscall is made.

VisualWorks has an interface for pthreads that allow you to move DLL
calls to pthreads.

I'll note with a bit of work one could put the remain interp.c
variables in the foo structure and have a VM that
could run multiple pthreads each hosting a VM. Of course one would
have to clean up the platform dependent code to avoid
globals or file based static. Still the majority of work has been
done, but there has been no interest.

On Jan 6, 2007, at 2:07 AM, J J wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Is anyone doing anything (or know of someone who is) with native
> threading in squeak?  As computers begin to rely more and more on a
> multi-core strategy for speed up it is going to become more and
> more important to support native threading.
===