Squeak and native threads

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 9 06:10:44 UTC 2007

>From: John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: Squeak and native threads
>Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 18:13:17 -0800
>
>Well actually on Modern old technology based operating systems like  unix,
>(ahem OSX)
>  the I/O (file/sockets/sound) run under different pthreads  automatically
>once the syscall is made.

Ah, ausome.

>VisualWorks has an interface for pthreads that allow you to move DLL  calls
>to pthreads.

Dolphin has "overlapping" calls, which are probably similar.

>I'll note with a bit of work one could put the remain interp.c  variables
>in the foo structure and have a VM that
>could run multiple pthreads each hosting a VM. Of course one would  have to
>clean up the platform dependent code to avoid
>globals or file based static. Still the majority of work has been  done,
>but there has been no interest.

Could you define "a bit of work"?  You think like 3 months work for the
average guy?  More/Less?
I'm sure there was less interest before because the threading world is
harder to work in then the non-threading world.  But it is getting more
important every day, so I thought this deserved some looking into.

Thanks very much for your reply,