Squeak and native threads

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 9 06:19:46 UTC 2007

>From: Zulq Alam <me at zulq.net>
>To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>Subject: Re: Squeak and native threads
>Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 18:14:28 +0000
>
>I don't understand what you mean by 'any state changing operation is going
>to have to be "atomic", so we wouldn't use the keyword as much as they do'?
>We would have to use the atomic keyword wherever there is a state change -
>why is this less for Smalltalk?

Well my thinking with that was:  If you change an instance variable you are
changing shared state (but I could be wrong here).  The main point was that
for this to be really useful, it needs be as non-intrusive as possible in
the common case.  That is, the best would be if some change could be made
and squeak was suddenly capable of running in multiple threads with the
current code base.