Squeak and native threads

Zulq zulqarnain.t.alam at jpmorgan.com
Tue Jan 9 16:43:15 UTC 2007

J J-6 wrote:

> That is, the best would be if some change could be made
> and squeak was suddenly capable of running in multiple threads with the
> current code base.

I agree and that is why I found the active object + asynchronous messages
model interesting. From what I can tell (so far) there appears to be even
less impact. In a transactional system you would need some sort of
transactional construct like BlockClosure>>atomicValue:anObject which seems
unpleasant to me. Furthremore, I imagine the cost of having implicit
transactions for every instance variable would be significantly high.