John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Howard Stearns hstearns at wisc.edu
Wed Jan 10 20:11:07 UTC 2007

Good point. This highlights the question of "what's a platform?"

Consider, as just one example, openlaszlo.org (which I mention because I
have friends there). Their fat-client Web-delivered apps "compile" to
Flash or AJAX.  Will iPhone Safari support Flash? Will it support DHTML
as much as the standard Safari does? If so, then it's hard for me to
technically or legally understand why a Laszlo kind of third-party app
would be supported, but not a "native" third-party app?  Flash and AJAX
have an API for applications to receive gestures and to display output,
and so does the operating system. What's the difference?

I tend to think of Squeak as just another one of these kinds of
platforms, on which apps can run.

I wonder when they'll support the Parallels VM...

If the reasons for the distinction are just arbitrary, we could make a
Flash or Java VM for Squeak, in which the .image/.changes/.sources files
all come over the Internet (hopefully with caching!)...  I have no idea
how to estimate the performance.

-Howard

--
Howard Stearns