Whats Happening with 3.10. And how is it going to proceed?

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 05:28:18 UTC 2007

Whats Happening with 3.10. And how is it going to
proceed?

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the reply.

yahoo.com> wrote:
>> This is mostly to the board and the 3.10 team.
>>
>> A new year naturally brings questions about
>> resolutions and time lines.
>>
>> Is 3.10 going to be time boxed?
>> If so what are the timelines and deliveralbles?
>
>According to my proposal, the alpha will be in
January and the final
>will be in June.

Ok. Good.

>There is a mailing list v3dot10 at
lists.squeakfoundation.org for talking
>about 3.10 and everybody who is even slightly
interested is welcome to
>join it.
>

>> So far the 3.10 folder on the ftp site is empty.
>> Can the 3.10alpha image be placed there?
>> That would be one easy deliveralbe.
>
>An image is easy.  Edgar has been making them for
several months.  I
>want to make sure that things like the update process
and the testing
>process are in place.

Cool.

>> My wishes for the new year are that:
>>
>> -whatever process is evolved to assembling 3.10
that an
>> update stream would be established as a last word.
>
>Yes.  It looks like we will probably use Installer
for this.

Ok. I am not familiar with the Installer. Is it like
the old update stream process or is it MC based.
What I'm concern with is a fast/easy way of getting
changes out to testers and feedback from them.
(I am a fan of Paul McCready and the gossamer condor.
Balsa wood and piano wire. Build. Test. Crash. Build.)

Where do I find an Installer that I can download?
The one pointed to on the pbwiki doesn't seem to
really exist.
And where is the Installers-for-dummies documentation?

>> -my other wish is there would be a "full" image
team.
>> These fine folks would be responsible for deciding
>> what packages would be released as "3.10" full.
One
>> of the tests for the release is that these packages
>> could be loaded and work as the 3.10 basic image
goes
>> along.
>
>My plan is that, once a testing environment is set
up, we will certify
>packages as "confirming" or "official" or
"compatible".  (I'm still
>looking for a good name.)  This means that they load
into the image
>and do not break any tests, and their tests pass,
too.  it is too much
>trouble to do this testing by hand, but once we have
an automatic way
>of doing it then it should not be hard to keep a lot
of packages on
>the list.

Thats good. My understanding is that the 3dot10 team
will only have responsibility for releasing
a basic or standard image. And anything beyond that
would add scope risking the time box.

I want to see a team whose responsiblitity is to
release a full-and-fun version of the image. With
play-with-me projects and the like.  My model are the
2.7 and 2.8 images that appeared with Mark Guzdials
first book on squeak.  My perception is that this
needs to happen as a separate responsibility and
separate focus and separate energy/resources.  It is
definitely a different slant on things than the
working core that the release team is expected to
produce. In the past there hasn't been a separate
effort and opportunities were missed (and lamented) in
3.7 and 3.8 and 3.9.

So this request is more for the board that the 3dot10
team.

>> -My final wish is to, as soon as possible, get back
>> a state where version histories are present enough
so
>> those of us who bug track have a way of finding out
>> when and how things changed. Who changed them. And
>> good chance of guessing why and with what intent. I
am
>> indeed having difficulty with that with 3.9-7067.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean by this.  We want to have
a complete
>history of what we did so it is possible to go back
and time to find
>when things stopped working.  Why can't you do this
for 3.9?
>-Ralph

See tim's post.

Again, thanks for your response.