Version Histories (was Whats Happening with 3.10. etc.)

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 05:37:39 UTC 2007

Version Histories
was
Whats Happening with 3.10. And how is it going to
proceed?

Hi tim,

>tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
>Tue Jan 9 18:21:10 UTC 2007 wrote:
>

>On 9-Jan-07, at 10:12 AM, Ralph Johnson wrote:
>

>>> -My final wish is to, as soon as possible, get
back to
>>> a state where version histories are present enough
so
>>> those of us who bug track have a way of finding
out
>>> when and how things changed. Who changed them. And
>>> good chance of guessing why and with what intent.
I am
>>> indeed having difficulty with that with 3.9-7067.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by this.  We want to
have a complete
>> history of what we did so it is possible to go back
and time to find
>> when things stopped working.  Why can't you do this
for 3.9?

>Ralph, the problem is that during the 3.9 dev cycle
the changes file
>ran out space and was compressed. So all those
version histories went
>away :-(
>
>Now , I *do* have a partly complete rework of the
source accessing
>stuff (and bugger all spare time to do anything with
it) that could
>avoid that problem.

My suggestion is still to share the code in its
current state by uploading it to the mantis issue.
Something good may come of that.

Your still in the drivers seat, it's your issue.

A stable repair of the source/changes system needs to
be in place before version histories can be gotten at
easily.

Version histories have to be gotten at easily before
broken code can be analysed easily.
And that has to happen before good tests and/or fixes
can be proposed with confidence.

Yours in service, --Jerome Peace

It would, technically, be plausible to add that
>to a 3.8.1 image and then load all the packages
Marcus built during
>the 3.9 work (at huge cost to his sanity, sleep and
social life) and
>*not* do the compression. That should get us a 3.9
with all version
>info intact. A lot of work - and I'm not volunteering
to do it! - but
>you might consider it as an option. The extra good
news is that with
>a more flexible source code access system in place
one could consider
>ways of storing version history off to the side in
some manner so
>that you can have it or not at will. Just one of the
benefits of
>getting away from a string assumption of integer
indices into text
>files as your only source access.

+1