Spoon progress 2006-12-20 and 2007-0-1-03

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri Jan 12 02:56:28 UTC 2007

Hi all--

     Spoon website: http://netjam.org/spoon

     This is another in a series of Spoon progress messages that I
intend to send out on first and third Wednesdays. At the moment I have
just emerged from the smoking crater in my recreational programming
schedule known as northern winter solstice...

     Work continues on a sample module, for graphics support[1]. I gave
a lot of thought as to whether, in general, I'd rather do a blind copy
of behavior from current Squeak to get things running, or refactoring
for intelligibility. It's not an easy decision; a lot of the existing
code is confusing, bloated, or simply wrong, but rethinking things has a
significant development time cost. I decided it would be better to try
to keep Spoon small and simple for as long as possible, even if it's
mostly for my own education. So, I'm reviewing everything I put into
this module.

     Here's the method I'm debugging into existence:

***

letThereBeGreen
	"Create a Display, then display an all-green Picture that covers it."

	| display |

	display := (
		Display
			withWidth: 200
			height: 200
			andDescription: 'the primary display').

	(Picture covering: display)
		fillWithColor: Color green;
		displayOn: display

***

     I'm in the depths of Color at the moment (pun intended :).

     thanks,

-C

[1] http://tinyurl.com/y6u9qc (an archived Spoon list message)

--