Emergency evaluator: "save and exit" command?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Jan 12 21:19:25 UTC 2007

On Jan 12, 2007, at 11:06 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 11-Jan-07, at 7:32 PM, John Ersatznom wrote:
>

>> Recovered how?
>
> About 40% down the World menu you'll see 'changes'. click there and
> a new menu will appear - near the bootom it says 'recent log
> file..' and clicking that will open of recent image save/quit
> events. If you click on any one of those the system will scan the
> changels log forward from that time/date and give you a browser
> with each do it and method save you did. You can do a variety of
> things to re-install the ones you want. A common situation would be
> re-installing everything but the last few methods you changed since
> there is a good bet the last one cased the crash!

I'll note many years ago when we were working on the file primitives
I had to kludge the codewarrior libraries to ensure file flush
actually invoked the
proper mac os 7.x routine to flush the change log, oddly enough the
codewarrior libraries would flush the internal buffer structure to
disk, but not ask the
operating system to flush the file buffers.  I think it was Andreas
who discovered that the change file wasn't being flushed on each
write, thus
leading to a surprise in case of a VM crash.  People are welcome to
cross check current 3.9 code to confirm the flush file primitive *is*
still called tho, that
or the file closed.

===