John, do you have Sophie running on this thing yet?

Aaron Reichow revaaron at bitquabit.com
Sat Jan 13 09:44:53 UTC 2007

Brad-

The Nokia 800 is sure to be just as great a mobile Squeak platform as
the Nokia 770 is. The N800 doesn't have much different from the older
770, but it does have a faster CPU - 320 rather than 250 MHz.  While
250 MHz sounds slow for Squeak in Morphic, it works quite admirably-
I've been using Squeak on my 770 for a while, and while 3.9 is too
slow to use, 3.6 is usable and anything older than that is even
better. I've found 3.2 is a great version- it's Morphic feels faster
than the newer versions of Squeak, but the built-in classes are
similar enough to 3.6-3.9's that writing an app for 3.2 and sharing
it to 3.9 users works fine. I've also had little problem getting most
code for 3.7 or 3.9 working on 3.2, at least for what I'm doing.

Plus, it runs Genie very well. I'm using it for input in Squeak wit
no problems- I almost never use the half-done soft keyboard I wrote.

In my informed and somewhat humble opinion, the Nokia 770/800 is by
far the best mobile platform for Squeak in the keyboard-less device
with a 3" to 6" diag screen category, which is the category with a
ton of other competitors.  Sure, something like the OQO will run
Squeak better, but it costs 8 times as much.

Just an aside... :)

Aaron