Emergency evaluator: "save and exit" command?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jan 15 20:44:17 UTC 2007

John Ersatznom <bbound at gmail.com> writes:
> This situation indicates a more general issue with the entire
> system.

There is a nice FAQ entry for this, which is only fair to read before
talking about massive redesigns of the system.  ;)

I agree the situation could be clearer.  What happens, though, is that
people who use the system a lot, just know the tools, and so the tools
never become easier for new users.

Anyway, your changes are all there in the changes file waiting for
you.  The simplest tool is "changes -> browse logged changes".  More
info on the situation in general is here:

    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2168

> There are clear advantages to combining the development
> environment and the run-time environment, but there are clear
> disadvantages too, such as that things going wrong can b0rk the
> debugging tools and development environment. That the normal defensive
> practise of frequent saves with ctrl+S doesn't really protect you is
> another issue.

Squeak has this frequent saving idea built in.  It's just so smooth
that you do not normally even see it...

It would be nice if, on startup, Squeak tried to determine if the last
exit was a crash.  If it was, it could open some kind a
changes-recovery window....

-Lex