Ffenestri (multiple host window support), and Mac Host Menus

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jan 16 01:44:44 UTC 2007

On 15-Jan-07, at 5:24 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Dumb question: There does not seem to be a HostWindowPlugin
> implementation
> in platforms/unix. If such a thing existed, would it be a useful
> thing?

It would; and I can't find anything in my mailfiles to suggest that
it has been done yet.

> I don't have either a Mac or a RiscOS box, so I'm not entirely clear
> as to whether Areithfa Ffenestri does something useful now, or if
> it's more of an R&D exercise awaiting future development work.

Right now it is a bit of both. The low-level stuff seems to me to be
complete but we need the higher level stuff to actually make sensible
use of it.
You can:-
   create
   decorate
   show
   hide
   delete
   move
   query state
   display on
   get event info from
host windows. John did some hacks to map Squeak projects to windows
as a proof of concept but I don't think that is the way to go. I'd
rather see it having any morph in a separate host window, including
allowing pasteupmorphs (I think that's the chap) so that you can do
something MDI-like if you really want to. John also did host menu
stuff and it appears to work ok on Windows as well. I'd recommend
having a pesudo-platform that provides sorta-host popup menus by
using an undecorated window to display a Squeak menu as well - since
Mac and Windows host menus are so utterly f**%#ed up. In my opinion.
Which is, of course, The Truth.

tim
Strange OpCodes: LB: connect Line-voltage to BITNET