Mit's Scratch has a final version available for download.

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Jan 16 17:19:58 UTC 2007

I'm pretty sure if you find a 2.8 VM the basic stuff would pretty
much work. I just tested with a recent VM and get walkbacks because
we switched to named primitives a long while ago. Commenting out the
primitive failures worked fine (it was just trying to stop sound
which was not playing anyway). After this, I could work with it just
fine.

Regarding "Smalltalk and portability" ... It takes a *lot* of low
level effort to provide the illusion of a perfect world so that on a
high level you can ignore platform issues. This has not been done on
Linux yet as it seems, so that's why they estimate it might take a
while to get done. All of this convenience does not come for free.
Actually, if it *was* Smalltalk rather than C and OS-dependent
libraries down there, we would be in even better shape.

- Bert -