Whois use and some questions

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed Jan 17 11:31:59 UTC 2007

Hi Edgar,

on Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:34:35 +0100, you wrote:

> I wish ask Unix experts if whois is reliable or not as from the log I
> wish know who is using.

If you use a (platform independent) _authoritative_ whois service, then
the information you get is accurate, as everybody else on the internet
sees the same. Examples (including oddities):

  whois -h whois.ripe.net cobss.ch <= this asks whois.nic.ch
  whois -h whois.nic.ch cobss.ch <= almost always times out
  whois -h whois.networksolutions.com cobss.com

> If some have traceroute or whois for using inside Squeak I wish know.

I suggest to use a web service and parse the web reponse (not that I have
one; I always scripted command line utilities for whois).

/Klaus