Running Squeak as a Linux service

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 19 07:33:16 UTC 2007

Noury,

I am not sure this is relevant, but I think people who run HTTP server from
Squeak (e.g. for Seaside) often have the same situation (although perhaps
with different arguments for Swiki). I run HTTP server with the 2 attached
scripts. It is really unnecesarily complicated, as I wanted to use the same
core to run both as service as well as manually as non-superuser, but you can
use the idea. Or use any file in /etc/init.d on your distro as example. The
squeak_http is the service (borrowed from SuSE, this should be
in /etc/init.d, and it "calls" the squeak_http service which is the core, and
could be merged inline).

Depending on the distro, each handles services a bit differently, but this
should run on any distro that is Linux Standard Base compliant (many of them
are). If you modify the paths referring to my system (look for mzimmerm) and
put the squeak_http to /etc/init.d, and run as superuser
	cd  /etc/init.d/
	chkconfig  --add squeak_http # adds service to run levels
	./http_service start #starts service
that should work.

Milan