Tracing the Dynabook: A Dissertation

Matej Kosik kosik at fiit.stuba.sk
Fri Jan 19 13:10:17 UTC 2007

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Am Jan 19, 2007 um 1:33  schrieb John Maxwell:
>
>> Hi, everybody,
>>
>> For the past few years, I have been working on a historical study on
>> the Dynabook vision as conceived in the early 1970s as well as how the
>> idea and its various incarnations have played out in the intervening
>> three-and-a-half decades. This has been part of my PhD work in
>> education at the University of BC -- as such, I am working from an
>> educational perspective, rather than a compsci one.
>>
>> As of November 2006 I finally finished the thing, and successfully
>> defended it. I hereby unleash it on this community, in the hopes that
>> it will provoke discussion on the Squeak-oriented mailing lists and
>> beyond. Squeak-dev and Squeakland have been major resources to me all
>> the while, and I'd like to thank everyone on these lists for providing
>> such a rich ongoing commentary.
>>
>> The entire work is roughly 300 pages. This link is to a PDF just under
>> 2 megabytes. At some point, if I have some time, I want to break this
>> out into some more granular web pages, but I'm already late in
>> releasing it, so here it is in its entirety. You can find it (along
>> with a brief abstract and ToC) at:
>>
>>   http://thinkubator.ccsp.sfu.ca/Dynabook/dissertation
>>
>> I'm very interested in any comments you might have.
>
> Sounds very interesting :) I of course searched the PDF for "OLPC"
> (being one of the guys who puts Etoys onto the OLPC machine), but it
> only has a brief mention. I'd be interested in your take on that.
>
> From my perspective, the hardware is surely there and pretty much could
> account for the "book" in "dynabook". The question is, from today's
> perspective, what software could fulfill the "dyna" part of it?
>
> Maybe you even have some thoughts on the reality of a dynabook in your
> thesis, going to read it asap :)
>
> - Bert -

Traces of OLPC in (alternative) future :) is also in
Earthweb by Marc Stiegler written in 1999

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Earthweb-Marc-Stiegler/dp/067157809X/sr=8-1/qid=1169210141/ref=sr_1_1/203-8113942-1334354?ie=UTF8&s=books

OLPC were part of the struggle. The plot is not complex but there are
interesting points about technology (capabilities, e-commerce,
*castpoints*, idea-futures, identities and trust in the distributed
world, how helping others can be more effective way of getting rich then
cheating them, and of course laptops).
--
Matej Kosik