Squeak on the PlayStation 3

Aaron Reichow revaaron at bitquabit.com
Fri Jan 19 20:20:39 UTC 2007

Wow... As an aside, the results from my new Mac Book Pro, with a 2.16
GHz Core 2 Duo:

483,931,947 bytecodes/sec; 10,129,460 sends/sec

Comparing this to the Mac Mini 1.5 GHz Core Solo:

224 million bytecodes/sec per GHz for Core 2 Duo
150 million bytecodes/sec per GHz for Core Solo

Mind you, there might be differences in VM or image version.  But
still, I was surprised to see that my new MBP was doing 50% more
million bytecodes/sec per GHz than the previous revision of the Intel
Core CPU.  The Core 2 isn't supposed to be that much faster, which
makes me wonder-

is there any way the second core in the CPU is getting used?  I mean,
obviously it isn't be used by Squeak through native threads, but
would various prims being called be managed by different cores in the
CPU, as delegated by Mac OS X? Just curious...

Vewy vewy interesting...  Interesting to see the PS3's numbers, even
if they are horrid. :)

Regards,
Aaron